I’ve been madly sewing on the gown in an attempt to have it ready by tomorrow. As of this moment, the only things left to do are to tack the bodice lining down, sew two rings on each shoulder strap for sleeve attachment capability, and make heaven knows how many eyelets in order to be able to close the back of the dress. Continue reading ❧
After drafting the revised bodice pattern, I cut out two layers of linen for each piece and ran channels on my sewing machine for hemp cording. I don’t know if the angled channels on the front of the bodice will do anything in the way of bust support, but I figure that since it’s done in corsets, why not give it a try? Continue reading ❧
I realize there are a few sins inherent in the Val Day gown that can’t really be addressed (namely the fabric choice), but rather than consign it to the rag bag or Gold Key, I’ve decided to rework it to be wearable and flattering, if not precisely historically correct. Continue reading ❧
Award of Arms for Bubba of Winchester. Illumination done by Gianna Vettori using Windsor-Newton gouache, 23K gold leaf, and ink on pergamenata; calligraphy done by me in black India ink using a Brause nib.
The text reads:
Continue reading ❧
Be it known to all that we Cellach, King by right of Arms of the Middle Kingdom & Vukasin our Queen send greetings.
So the dress was complete in time for Val Day; unfortunately I have no photos from that event to prove it.
Things I like:
- The silhouette is almost correct.